Monday 11 August 2014

A Festival of Quilts

 And other items...

Ellen has been having fits brainwaves regarding her crocheting and has made some bags with crochet "adornments"
veggie bag

they are cute though

 Bless her..........


 Jo is continuing with her tiny projects - hexagons are next on her list.

 Shirley is making a large "dolly "bag for a baby - this will be to carry around all the stuff that babies come with.

bright colours
Ena is making a Somerset Folded lid for the little box that she has been making

 And the Angels have started to roll in

a sweetie!

Twins in the making
 Angela apologised (sort of) for no sewing being done for ages, and was sewing knitted blocks together. We had a vote and decided NOT to expel her.
its still patchwork...
Lynda put the finishing touches to her new Grandson's quilt. You may remember that she took one up a couple of months ago and brought it back because it didn't suit him,
much stronger colours

 Then there was the Festival of Quilts held this weekend at Birmingham Exhibition Centre.

I was working there and did manage to have a look around at the quilts on display (as well as all the frantic shopping being done - is there something I should know about?).

There was a huge number of quilts on display, but - in my opinion - too many art quilts compared with the traditional entries. I find it quite sad that some of you lovely ladies who do beautiful work are letting the arty set take the lead in what is the largest quilt show in the country.

I will show you some pics of those that I enjoyed looking at .....



 I just love love love this one



these measured 1"



a clever idea
the hand stitching brought this to life

 Philipa Naylor won the Traditional category

 with some exquisite free motion quilting
 But Best in Show?....


don't get me wrong, I admire the work that has gone into this piece and many of the other Art type pieces - but some of them, I just wonder "why?"  
 Maybe it is like Monty Python ... I just don't get it

I didn't take my very nice new camera, and I chose not to take photos of so many of the quilts -

This is another that caught my eye.

 And its nice to see that someone I know agrees with me!  Thank you Wendy!!!

6 comments:

  1. Loving the angels! Like the beachy scene but am a traditional girl too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those carrots and peas.....Ellen has such fun ideas. Lots of other lovely work going on around the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done - one angel already appeared. A big thank you to Ellen ,grand-daughter Hannah and even Graham for the production of 30 plus kits. Another big thank you to the 99% of members who are now also constructing angels. Without your help we couldn't put on the good show that we have done in the past. Keep stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did love Mary Mayne's Courthouse Steps. Les. Great to see how busy your Piecemakers are. xx. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Angel and some other lovely work.
    Watch the space for the next bag........think I must be in my second childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too, am a traditionalist. I can't understand the more modern work. However I admire the fact that the 'artist' can think of the idea.

    Don't worry there will soon be a 'plethora' of angels!!

    ReplyDelete