Monday 18 February 2013

Our Dorothy Day

Dorothy & Ena
Every February we have a Linus day for our All Day activity, sometimes known as our Dorothy day because Dorothy made quilts for Linus like they were going out of fashion, and her birthday was in February.  Dorothy passed away 4 years ago but we still talk about her (some more fondly than others!!)  I cannot tell you how much trouble these two got up to! 

You will recognise Ena from many other posts on this blog, still causing as much mayhem as she can. (But we LOVE her!!)


 We had a full house of eager ladies ready to tackle the day


every spot filled
 We had suggested that we join in with the Scrappy Trip Round The World (tutorial HERE ).

Lynda and Lesley had been cutting strips for days, and the ladies brought along some more ready cut strips - so we started with this ......

lots of scraps

 And after some of this ......
joining the rows
And working like in a sweat shop to join nine of the blocks .........
Well SOME of us!!!


We ended up with a 36" scrappy quilt top like this.....

really scrappy & fun!
 A big thank you to Jayne from Makower and Jane from Winbourne  (the distributors of Moda fabrics) who have given us loads of samples to make these quilts with. 

Around the rest of the room we had lots of the ladies that were doing other designs

cute teddy being quilted


Some Peter Rabbit blocks

Squaring up ready for binding

Did she do any sewing today???

 I didn't count them all and they may not all be completed but I think that you can say that the day was quite productive?

Love the Union Jacks




Bright and cheery



and some for the incubators


And during the afternoon we stopped for exactly 12 minutes for our AGM, new treasurer appointed and ready for a new year of fun.

 Of course, there is always some of this ......

yummy

And Fran is quilting the borders on this beautiful Candlewick Sun Bonnet Sue quilt for her grand daughters birthday


Guess how old?

 We will show you the finished item later



And to say Thank You to Lynda for 11 years of counting coins and generally bossing everyone about, the ladies presented her with a FAB bouquet and a voucher for her to have her toes titivated at the local salon (here).

Lynda receiving her flowers from Liz - So she did do something !!!

Thank you Lynda - you really are worth it. xx




10 comments:

  1. Came home absolutely **** (tired) but still buzzing from the day. We would never earn anything as piece workers would we!!

    Thanks again Lynda. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Linda, what are you going to do with yourself now?
    Had a bit of a shock when I saw Mum looking back at me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sit here trying to keep my eyes open with a large COFFEE.
    When I first went to H/P/M they sat me opposite Dorothy and next to Ena need I say any more !.Dorothy was great to me(think she must have liked me)Showed me lots of good tips like sewing a button on it if it went a little wrong. God Bless her she would have cracked the whip today when we sat talking and eating fancy cakes. Thank you also Lynda for all your hard work.You can have 40 winks before you come from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like there was a lot of hard work went on yesterday (Monday),and all space used. The quilts look great. I have been working on my challenge, it is lucky that my sewing machine is button operated, therefore no pedal to operate.
    Goodluck to Lynda in your semi-retirement from treasurer, you did a god job.
    Keep up the good work!!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit I have enjoyed being treasurer! took some doing keeping certain people in order!!!but I would like to thank you all for the lovely flowers and voucher. I must say if it was'nt for Dorothy introducing mem to Lesley just over 11 years ago there would'nt be a Higham Piecemakers patchwork group!!! she certainly has a lot to answer for. dont worry, I will still be coming to group (only maybe not so early. lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quilts looked brill - well done everyone!
    Thanks Linda, enjoy having your nails titivated

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks to all for. The inspiration to carry on the Linus quilts at home. I really need more projects! I really enjoyed Mondays sweat shop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Monday Ladies. Looking forward to doing Linus quilts on our Wednesday evening.

    Thank you Lynda for looking after us so well for 11 years.

    ReplyDelete